Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat...

I'm incredibly sorry it's already been more than a month since my last post. Fortunately, I now have a new computer (thanks Andy!) that will make my job of posting and emailing much easier. Even with my absence of blog presence, I've thought of all of you back home and in other places of the world, and during this holiday season, I wish you all peace and joy for the holidays. I wish I could be home in person to deliver hugs and smiles, but my typed messages will have to do for now. :-)

Life here has become normal (but not without surprises!), in that I am understanding and speaking Portuguese very well, finding my way around town, figuring out how to do work trips solo to the various communities, and all around enjoying life here. I have been learning a bit more about the cistern program here with MCC, because John, one of my American colleagues and the person in charge of the cistern projects, recently had hernia surgery and now cannot drive or lift things for a few months. So I have begun to make contracts and do other odds and ends with the cistern process to help him out a bit. I just visited a dry composting latrine this past week in Olinda, near Recife (I was there for a team meeting and Christmas celebration), and I was able to take measurements and brainstorm with the owner of the toilet. She is actually Californian and her husband is Brazilian, and they have an organic farm with all kinds of interesting experiments and demonstrations, and I had visited this composting toilet once before I spoke Portuguese, so I wanted to return now that I have a better understanding of the concept and am able to ask my questions. Now I have a pretty good idea of what's going on and what changes could be made to improve the idea, so I'm hoping to build the first unit in January. I'm very excited about this.

Right now, Eva, the SALT program coordinator in the U.S. is here for a visit. Every year she is able to visit a few SALT sites to evaluate the program and the teams that take in SALTers, the host family situations, the daily work situations, etc. It has been great to show someone around, especially someone as animated and funny as Eva, in any language. She has a great way of making people smile and feel comfortable despite the language barrier. So we've had a good time showing her around our work projects and the people we get to work with daily. It's also been a good time to emotionally and mentally process some of my experiences here. I have missed that a bit.

My December days are filled with Christmas parties in the communities, coming home each day to have my sisters excitedly demonstrating some new Christmas decoration they've invented during their time not in school (its summer vacation now), and reflecting on how this year's holidays will be different, but that Christmas is Christmas everywhere, people just celebrate a bit differently. I am still overwhelmed by hospitality and generosity. At one of the Christmas parties, there was a whole table display of fresh fruit, kind of a cornucopia number, to demonstrate the blessings of the harvest. I was kind of wondering if anyone was going to eat it but it remained there until the end of the party when I was leaving. I asked if I could have a piece, and I wound up taking everything on that table home in a giant box. Mangoes, cashew fruit, goiabas, bananas, wonderful tropical bounty.

And now, for some photos. A random assortment that have occurred since the last post. Enjoy!


I helped my friends Flavinho and Socorro move by driving this Bandeirante truck full of their earthly belongings (and them, their baby, and Anya) about an hour from Tigre to Monteiro. It will be wonderful to have them living closer


I arrived home on my mom's birthday to find the girls and a bunch of their little friends scrambling around to put together a last minute surprise party. Very cute. So much love in my family.


The gang in Mao Beijada at our Christmas party. This is where I went home with an abundance of fruit.


John, Anya and I in the bandeirante. Good times guaranteed.


One of my frog friends in the bathroom. I caught this one as he was trying to hide behind my shampoo! Sneaky little guy...


On my walk to work every day. Very lovely. Blue sky, brown earth, green grass, cool water. Lovely.


We stumbled upon this huge nativity in front of an old church in Olinda. Eva really liked this camel because it was a little decrepit lookin. Some of the carvings looked a little awkward, but very charming. And very grand.

Well friends, that's all I've got for now. Happy holidays to all and to all a good night!
Love, Peace, Happiness,
AnaMaria





No comments:

Post a Comment